Saturday, January 26, 2013

What the Dog Saw- Malcom Gladwell

Elizabeth thought I'd like this book.  I've enjoyed the Tipping Point and Blink.
This is a collection of NY Times essays and I did like the first one on kitchen gadgets which is why Elizabeth perhaps brought the book.

It is not written as well as the Birdseye book and they are very similar, being a celebration of invention and the ability to market new things.  Still, I liked it.

When I finished I wanted to buy the Ronco rotisseri which is very ironic since I'm not eating meat.  Ron "Ronco" Popeil  was quite a character.
http://www.minyanville.com/special-features/articles/surprising-lives-famous-pitchmen-ron-popeil/3/12/2010/id/27185

Once in the middle of my career a woman who taught with us left to sell microwave ovens and she told me I would be great at such a job, that I could sell things.  Interesting.  I never thought of myself as a salesperson.

When I was a kid my brother-in-law gave me boxes of go-sticks to sell door to door.  One stick was a quarter and there was a discount on a box.  These were long tubes of grit wrapped in fragile paper and meant to be placed under the car wheels when they were spinning on ice to easily gain traction.  I don't know if they actually worked.  I sold some, but it was more work than it was worth and not as steady as delivering papers.

No comments:

Post a Comment